This is a simple checklist that you can complete before your mattress shopping begins. This will help to narrow down your search. And don't be afraid to ask questions - that's what we are here for!
SIZE: To determine the best mattress size for you, your space and your partner, consider these points... For length, determine the tallest person that will be sleeping in the bed. The mattress you select should be longer than that person. For width, you must allow for enough space between you and your partner. Both of you should fold your arms behind your head while lying down. Your elbows should not go over the edge of the mattress or be touching the other person's elbows.
BUDGET:To determine the budget for your new mattress, remember that you get what you pay for - the higher the quality (and cost), the better the comfort, support and durability of the mattress. However, choose the mattress that will meet your needs as well as your budget. When you arrive at the store, let the salesperson know what your budget is so they can direct you to the best options in your price range. Also, if you are selecting a mattress for your guest room, remember to inform the salesperson of that (many mattress stores have a different section for "guest" mattresses). Before you enter the store, consider these points...
- The least I will spend on my new mattress is $_________.
- The most I can spend on my new mattress is $_________.
- I (am / am not) willing to consider floor models and other clearance options if available.
TEST-DRIVE: The best way to determine the perfect mattress for you and your partner is to take them for a test-drive. We know, no one wants to lie on the display beds in front of their fellow shoppers, but it is an important step in the process! Once the salesperson has shown you the options in your price range, take the time to test out each mattress. Lie on your back, stomach, left side and right side for 3-5 minutes each. As you test each mattress, ask yourself these questions...
- Do I like my mattress firm or soft?
- Which brand of mattress do I trust most?
- What features of a mattress can I live without? What features of a mattress can I NOT live without?
DELIVERY: Don't forget to inquire about delivery options for your new mattress and the disposal options for your old mattress.
- Is shipping and/or delivery included?
- Will they dispose of my old mattress for me? Is there a charge for this?
- Could I recycle my old mattress? Will the store do it for me?
- How long before my new mattress is delivered?
RETURN POLICY/WARRANTY: Be sure to ask the salesperson about the warranty on your new mattress and the return policy of the store.
- If returned, will there be any return fees, restocking fees or penalty fees involved?
- What exactly does the warranty on my new mattress cover? Will it become void if tears or stains occur due to use?